Bringing Science to Life through Real World Stories

Thursday, March 21, 2013

How to turn a room into a camera....don't you want to try it?

Turn a room into a camera: Cool optics experiment idea

This could be such a cool optics experiment in a classroom. I could imagine getting a few large boxes (refrigerator size or bigger), taping them together, then creating the set up as described. You could try different lenses to see how that changes the image as well as their suggestion to change the aperture, or the amount of light, that goes through the lens. it would be neat to set it up so the lens could pick up the movements in the school, like in a cafeteria, so you could have a video camera set up to capture the images over time, then do a time elapse of the video to speed up the motion vs. time.

Editor's note: When I get excited about an idea, I tend to write really long run-on sentences. Sorry.
Note 2: I haven't been paid by anyone to share this idea or websites associated with it.
Note 3: I think I may have to build one myself. This could become a very cool traveling experiment for family science nights. The key will be to 1) get extraneous light blocked out, and 2) make it durable, and 3) make it easy to assemble and disassemble.

No comments:

Post a Comment